Legal Question in Elder Law in North Carolina

Our responsibilities if parent signs over property

My father-in-law wants to sign over or deed his home to us in the event that he has to go to nursing home.Does this have to be done so many years in advance? Also how does this effect us financially? Are we responsible for any of his debts,property taxes,insurance's if someone were to sue him for any reasons.

Asked on 7/05/04, 7:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Our responsibilities if parent signs over property

It doesn't sound like he really wants to transfer ownership to you at this time. It sounds like he really wants to retain ownership but have you maintain the property in the event he becomes ill. He may want to execute a Durable Power of Attorney or Springing Power of Attorney. He should consult an estate planning attorney in his area to make sure his objectives are properly achieved.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/04, 1:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now