Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Change of Custody

I would like to pursue a change of custody and have my son live with me. I am a female in the military.My son has lived with his father since I went to Korea ona one-year remote. When I came home on mid-tour, he made me sign a release saying that I would not try to take my son with me to Korea--I couldn't and even if I could have, Korea is not in my opinion a place where I would have wanted my son to be at that time. It was just an excuse to deny me seeing my son, I think. We also signed a formal separation agreement at this time. My husband said I would not see my son again if I didn't sign the papers so I signed them. I was not represented at this time as I had been sending all of my money home less $200.00 for my husband and my son. We've been divorced now for more than 3 years but I am still drug through the mud when I want to see my son. He does not return my phone calls and I can only see my son when it is convenient for him. I drive 650 miles one way just to visit with him and if he wants me to sign something, he'll withhold visitation until I do so. I have documented most everything and have taped phone conversations of me crying and having to beg for visitation while he laughs. What are my options?

Alexander M. Rosenfeld Rosenfeld & Stein, P.A.

Re: Change of Custody

I urge you to seek counsel.The office of the Judge Advocate Genereal should provide you with the aid you need. Also the Florida Bar has a committee to assist service personnel in these matters. It is Operation Stand-by supported through the Military Affairs Committee of the Bar. Make use of it.

Alexander M. Rosenfeld

Rosenfeld & Stein, P.A.

18260 NE 19 Ave

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina