Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Changing last name of child

I have sole legal, physical custody of my daughter. My daughter has my maiden name. We were wondering if we could change my daughters name to my married name so that she will match her brothers and us. However her father this year has just started visitation. Would we have to get perrmission from him?

Asked on 1/16/07, 7:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dennis Gibson Law Office of Dennis Gibson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Changing last name of child

Absent a court determined abandonment by father, you will most likely need to get his consent.

Read more
Answered on 1/16/07, 11:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now