Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Child Support

I recently moved from North Carolina to California. The question I have is whether I need to take my "EX" to court in the state of California to get my child support modified. The problem is that whenever I take him to court for more child support, he quits the high paying job he has for a lower paying job. The children (2) have informed me he and his former wife now own a business. If this is in both names does he have to include this in his income? If it is just in her name can I go after both incomes since she makes a substaincially higher amount. He lives in Tennessee but our divorce was finalized in NC. Any advice would help.

Asked on 4/21/00, 7:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Support

Contact the local district attorney's family support office. They can contact the appropriate office in Tennesse to have them make the appropriate motion to set and collect child support.

The matter of child support must be heard in the state in which the father resides.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/00, 1:48 am
Alex Scheingross Law Offices of Alex B. Scheingross
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Support

sorry you can only pursue former spouse for support in state where original divorce action was filed or where he lives now.

how a court treats ownership of business with new spouse may be specific to state in which he lives, since it's not California, i can't tell you

Read more
Answered on 5/24/00, 2:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now