North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/29/03, 4:34 pm

Dad files for custody after I file for support

I am the mom of an 11 year old and am divorced from his dad and have been for 9 years. We have had joint custody for that time. I moved to Charlotte, with dads permission, because of better jobs and schools(My son is ADD and gets better services here)His dad and I have been friends for the 9 years we have been divorced. I filed for child support in october and told him I was and he agreed. When he got the summons he flipped and got a lawyer and now wants custody. We have a court date now that will look into that and child support. We had a support date but he got it coninued. He has not paid a cent since October and even pulled his payments of my sons after school karate program. He is remarried and I have a feeling the new wife is to blame for some of this. He does not like the new wife and is very irritable when there.I am gay, but he has known and has been fine with it for the past 9 years. The judge in this case is a woman. I have people from the school coming in on my behalf. His dad has not been active in his school life and beyond at all. My question, If I have had him in Mecklenberg county for 2 years and it is very obvious that he only filed because I filed child support, how would something like this in court go? Thanks!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search