Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

father's rights

My son and his girlfriend have a 2 yr old and have been living together for 2.5 years. They live in NC. Her parents want she and the baby to move to PA to live with them. My son is the father on the birth certificate but there is no other legal document giving him any shared custody. Can she take the child out of state without my son's permission. Does he have the right to involve police if she does?

Asked on 3/18/09, 7:00 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Gregory Lee Gregory P. Lee, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: father's rights

Your son needs to start a paternity case in the child's current home state to determine and enforce his rights. He should get advice from a practitioner in that state. He would almost certainly need this before any rights could be asserted. This does not sound like a criminal matter at this time, so the police are not likely to be a resource.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/09, 7:33 am
henry lebensbaum Law Offices of Henry Lebensbaum (978-749-3606)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: father's rights

Unless there is a court order, or an existing or filed paternity action, she can do as she wants.

If no action has been filed, then file one yesterday. If you need assistance, contact me.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/09, 10:28 am
Mark Williams Rice Law, PLLC - Web Based & Downtown Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: father's rights

He needs to (a) file an action to legitimate the child as a Special Proceeding so that the child will have all the rights and responsibilities of a legitimate child; and (b) file a custody action which would grant him visitation or custody rights.

He can't stop her from leaving without the custody action and even then may not be able to stop it - depends on her reason for moving.

Information posted for educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship created through the use of this website.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/09, 8:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now