Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Giving my brother guardianship of my teenage son.

My 16 year old, sophmore son is struggling in a big city schools, and has requested to go and live with my brother and sister-in-law in rural North Carolina. To register him in schools they need guardianship. How do I go about doing this so that I am the one responsible for his health/life insurance (mine is better than my brother's)? I sort of want to have joint custody where I'm responsible for his benefits and have visitation on school holidays. Can I do this were social services won't get involved and take him away from his parents? All involved feel this is in the best interest of my son.

Carolyn Press Chung & Press. P.C.

Re: Giving my brother guardianship of my teenage son.

Unless social services is already involved for some reason you haven't mentioned, there is no reason they should become involved in a consensual transfer of guardianship. Maryland law provides for a joint guardianship, which means a grant of limited guardianship to a caregiver who may be given authority to consent to medical care and to make educational and other decisions for the child which would otherwise be made by a parent. The parent would retain substantial authority and rights, and it could be a revocable joint guardianship. An attorney can prepare the necessary papers to be filed with the court to obtain a court-ordered joint guardianship. You should be able to retain the responsibility for health and life insurance and whatever shared custody or visitation rights you want.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina