Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Me and my husband are still married, while I was over the road driving, he ran off with our son to illinios and wont let me see him. What can I do to get my son back? Also I want a divorce from him too. What is the cheapest was to go about this and get my son back asap? thanks

Judy Tseng Wake Law Office

If the child has not been away from NC for over 6 months, then NC is still the home state, and you would file a custody action against your husband in your county. This is assuming you know their address in IL. If not, you might have to hire a private investigator to track down his address. As for the divorce, you would typically have to wait until you have been separated a year to file for an absolute divorce. Best wishes to you. If you need a referral to a family lawyer in your county, please let me know the county in which you reside.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina