North Carolina  |  Family Law

Me and my husband are still married, while I was over the road driving, he ran off with our son to illinios and wont let me see him. What can I do to get my son back? Also I want a divorce from him too. What is the cheapest was to go about this and get my son back asap? thanks

Answered on: 3/25/12, 7:34 pm by Judy Tseng

If the child has not been away from NC for over 6 months, then NC is still the home state, and you would file a custody action against your husband in your county. This is assuming you know their address in IL. If not, you might have to hire a private investigator to track down his address. As for the divorce, you would typically have to wait until you have been separated a year to file for an absolute divorce. Best wishes to you. If you need a referral to a family lawyer in your county, please let me know the county in which you reside.

Wake Law Office 3800 Paramount Pkwy. Suite 130 Morrisville, NC 27560-6950