North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/19/01, 6:27 pm

Jurisdiction to enforse a custody order

Final custody determination and order was filed in Oct of 95. Order gave me (mother) full custody and his father liberal visitation.

I was the plaintiff. I was living in NC at time complaint (custody and divorce) was filed. NC was determined to be my son's home state at that time.

My son and I relocated to SC in Nov 1995.

Defendant (father) was and still is resident of Texas.

Recently defendant (father) filed a contempt motion in NC falsely accusing me of contempt of the custody order.

Question - Can NC still take jurisdiction even though none of the parties are resident or citizens of that state?

How can a motion be filed in a case that was wrapped up over 6 years ago (instead of having to file a new complaint to start a new case)?

thank you

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search