Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I have been legally separated since april 4th, 2013. I am in a relationship now and despite extensive birth control find myself pregnant. Does my husband haveany right to this child(I have not had relations with soon to be ex since November of 2012) The biological father(my BF) will be signing the birth certificate but I will deliver before the divorce is final.

Asked on 10/20/13, 3:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Make sure the biological father signs the birth certificate. When you are married, the husband is presumed to be the father and you need to rebut this presumption.

Read more
Answered on 10/22/13, 8:16 am
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you deliver before the divorce the biological father won't be signing squat - the birth certificate will be marked 'refused' unless you husband wants to sign off on it (which I doubt because that puts him on the hook for child support for a child that's not his). You can however, give the child the biological father's last name if you want. Mr. Love is correct though that you will want the biological father to sign an affidavit of parentage and get the birth certificate changed to reflect him as the father ASAP after the divorce.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 6:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now