Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Post Separation Spousal Support

An explaintion of NC's Post Separation Spousal Support (new law as of Feb '97) and why it so easy for someone to get just by comparing income and expense statements. I was under the impression that having to support the ex-spouse ws almost a thing of the past? But it was so easy to get a court order for me to pay my ex a 1/4th of my wages just for her? I was already voluntarily paying child support and there were not other criminal or civil charges invloved. Was I possibly misrepresented by my attorney? And what action could you recommend to possibly eleviate this situation?

Cynthia Carroll Cynthia Y. Carroll, P.A.

nc--post separation support

NC's post separation support statute is intended to keep one spouse from "starving out" the other during litigation and to take the emphasis off of fault and put it on economics. The judge can use his or her discretion to decide the amount based on the financial affidavits of the parties. Postseparation support replaces alimony pendente lite (temporary alimony).

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina