North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/12/13, 10:19 pm

I have a son and am wanting to change his name do to certain circumstances with his father. I was wondering if I have to get the father's consent to do so even though the father in question is not on his birth certificate or in any way a part of his life?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/13/13, 9:09 am by Amanda Houser

Yes, you need father's consent. I would dangle the incentive of no child support in order to motivate him to consent. You are also going to need a legitimate reason to change the child's name - 'certain circumstances with the father' may not be sufficient. You should consult with a local attorney to assist you.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

The Houser Law Firm, P.C. 1007 Hargett Street Suite 2 Jacksonville, NC 28540

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search