Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My son-in-law severed parental rights to his son who is over 18 a year ago. The boy tried to rape my grandaughter. He was expelled from school. Started a GED program and word has it that he has been expelled from that. How does my son-in-law get documentation that the boy is not in the program any longer? My son-in-law wants to stop paying support. The boy is working.

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This question makes no sense at all. Why does your son-in-law need documentation? Who's he gonna show it to? If parental rights were terminated, your son-in-law didn't do it because you can't simply unilaterally terminate your parental rights (otherwise 9/10's of the people out there paying child support would just terminate their rights to avoid paying child support). Further, if parental rights were terminated your son-in-law would not be obligated to pay support - so why's he still paying? I think it's safe to assume parental rights were never legally terminated! Further still, unless your son-in-law stupidly agreed to extend his obligation to pay support in some sort of written agreement, child support ends at 18 - so again, why's he still paying? A GED program after being expelled from regular secondary school should not extend the child support obligation especially if he is out on his own.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina