Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I am in the state of North Carolina. I was wondering if there is a legal way to have extra marital relations if the spouse refuses sex for a certain period of time. It has been about 1 year.

Asked on 4/23/13, 6:27 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A spouse's refusal to provide sexual relations does not excuse the extra marital relations of the other.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/13, 8:48 am
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Extra marital relations can be considered adultery and in NC adultery is a crime. I have never seen or even heard of it being prosecuted in recent years because almost everyone has violated this law at some point but it is still a valid law. 14-184 Fornication and Adultery: If any man and woman, not being married to each other, shall lewdly and lasciviously associate, bed and cohabit together, they shall be guilty of a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

The only way I can think of to 'legally' have extra marital relations is to enter into a Separation Agreement. Most Separation Agreements have clauses that allow the parties to date and associate with whom ever they want. Since you would technically still be married any sexual relationship outside of your spouse would be extra marital.

However, while the Separation Agreement would most likely protect you and any extra marital partner(s) from civil liability you may still be violating the criminal law. I guess just try and make sure your extra marital relationships are not lewd and lascivious.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/13, 9:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now