Legal Question in Health Care Law in North Carolina

My wife has just been diagnosed with the beginning stages of dementia, we have no long term health care. I have been told any and all properties should be put in my name as well as bank accounts,c.d.'s and so forth. Is this correct? By the way I live in North Carolina.

The facts are that your wife has dementia and there is no cure. At some point, she will inevitably need to go into an assisted living facility and will need Medicaid. There are rules about Medicaid, but I think the advice is sound. You want to get things out of your wife's name now so that she will own nothing at the time of her death and the funds will not have to be repaid.

Regarding your situation, you might want to consider what you will do should something happen to you and your wife lives. I don't know your situtation, but you and your wife ought to have wills and/or a trust for you providing for your wife, powers of attorney for health and finances and living wills.

I can prepare estate plans for you and her for a reasonable fee. Please contact me at rachelforjustice@hotmail.com if interested. You might also want to consult with an attorney in your area if you wish to meet someone face-to-face.

More Health Care Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Health Care Law Legal Forms