Legal Question in Insurance Law in North Carolina

My companion of 27 years died recently and i was left as beneficary on life insurance policy We live in N.C. his daughter came back in her father's life last year after 17 years of absentee,She is not talking to me or trying to help with things needed such as death certificate or get medical records since policy was in force for only 16 months, he unfortunate left previous insurance company he was with for 15year when she came too N.C via her advice, now I have been told only she get or sign for medical records, since insurance company have contacted mea several time to get paperrwork completed but I have to send in death certificate , How can I Get this done without her cooporation

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

That's a rather tricky issue. Often the insurance company will require certain documents, such as a death certificate or medical records. You can likely obtain the death certificate, but obtaining medical records is a more complicated issue. Presumably the insurance company wants see these records because the death occurred within the contestability period. The Estate Administrator would be the best person to obtain these records, but I understand that you are not getting cooperation from your companion's family.You might need the assistance of a lawyer to guide you through this process. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Insurance Law Legal Forms