Legal Question in Insurance Law in North Carolina

I signed a release form from an auto insurance company for $11,000 and they are refusing to pay. What are my legal options?

Asked on 4/25/13, 8:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Upon signing the release, they would normally disburse the proceeds. If not, then in theory you could sue them for breach of contract, and perhaps also for bad faith (depending on a lot of variables). My primary question would be whether there might be a lien-holder about whom they are concerned. E.g., if the settlement is for bodily injury, then a hospital might have a lien; or Medicaid or Medicare might have a lien. If the settlement is for property damage, then a lender could have an interest in the vehicle. If they continue to refuse to pay you, then you probably need to take the matter to a lawyer and provide him or her with more information to get more guidance.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/13, 8:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Insurance Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now