Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

Self Directed Law Suits

Where can I find information on how to file a law suit on my own behalf without the aid of a lawyer?

There are cases where the recovery amounts would not warrant the expense of a lawyer and the lawyer will not take the case on contingency.

This would certainly come in handy when you are dealing with a big corporation to elicite a equitable settlement. The little guy should have a Big stick available, without it he/she has to settle for what is offered.

I can see some reprecussions from having this knowledge available to the general public, but justice should not be available only to those that can afford it.

Jim Griffin The Law Office of James L. Griffin

Re: Self Directed Law Suits

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Equal access to the court system should be just that, equal. If you would like further information on how you can obtain equal access to justice without the $100-200 per hour expense, e-mail me at:

jim-dot@ix.netcom.com.

Thanks,

Jim Griffin

Attorney at Law

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Re: Self Directed Law Suits

As for your initial question, there should be some websites with some general information (see, e.g., http://www.nccourts.org/Support/FAQs/FAQs.asp?Type=2&language=1#127). Perhaps the other responder can give you some guidance/advice.

As for your broader inquiry (regarding "justice for the little guy" and/or expensive legal representation), that is much more complicated. I regret that I have to pay doctors and mechanics to fix my car and my body. The truth, however, is that as a society we are better off with specialization. If we are to have rules (procedural and substantive), and predictability, then we need experts in these rules; and these experts in the rule(s) of law are "lawyers."

So, my advice to most people with a significant claim is to seek a lawyer. With a smaller claim perhaps the cost-benefit analysis justifies proceeding "pro se," but in most other case a lawyer is needed. And regrettably, I too cannot diagnose and treat myself, nor can I repair my plumbing...

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina