Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

the insurance paid my auto injury claim in July. I signed check and my attorney placed in a trust account, 8 months later I still don't have my portion of the funds. Is this normal or legal?

John O'Neal O'Neal Law Office

It depends on several factors. It could be that the attorney is negotiating or otherwise handling resolution of medical liens, reimbursement claims made by health plans that paid for accident-related medical expenses, or other claims for payment that must be accounted for before disbursing settlement funds. You should contact your attorney and find out exactly why the funds have not been paid and when payment may be anticipated. On a related note, in North Carolina attorneys must send clients an accounting of all funds held in trust for at least 12 months.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina