North Carolina  |  Personal Injury

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/28/11, 6:31 pm

My son was injured when he was hit by a truck, broken ankle in 3 places, knee surgery to repair the joint, a 5 inch gash across the knee. my wife and i are divoreced, is it legal for us to sue separitly?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/30/11, 4:42 am by Richard Culler

no...a Guardian Ad Litem must be appointed (usually one of the parents), and only that person may sue on behalf of the minor child...once child reaches 18, isn't necessary to have a is the child's case, not yours, and the child has to be represented until he/she reaches 18...

one parent may sue for medical expenses; because that parent is responsible for the necessary expenses of daily living for the child...whoever has custody is usually the correct parent to file...although if all med's are paid by one parent, that parent should be the one to file...this money is what would be used to pay back insurance...if you don't have medical payments that apply through your homeowner's policy or, potentially, your car insurance...good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Culler Law Firm, P.A. Suite 212, 212 N. McDowell St. Charlotte, NC 28204

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search