Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Joint ownership of vehicle

I owned a vehicle along with my aunt and when I moved away she was unhappy and decided she was going to take the vehicle away. I was of legal age to own the car and was paying payments. I would like the vehicle back and was wondering if she can just eliminate my name from the title or if she is liable to make an arrangement for payment. If you would please let me know what your advice is as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it.

Bruce Marshall Durrette, Irvin & Bradshaw, P.L.C.

Re: Joint ownership of vehicle

She may not remove your name from title without your signature on the title document arthorizing it. You are still a co-owner. The bad news is that you still have an obligation on the car loan, and the lender will not excuse you just because she has the car in her possession. Your right to the vehicle is equal to hers, and if she has the vehicle and you are making the payments, voluntarily or otherwise, you can sue her for contribution.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina