Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Liability for flaw missed in home inspection

I purchased our home just under 15 years ago. After being here a few years we found that many doors would not close any longer. This got progressively worse so I called in someone who specialized in structural problem repair. It was found that there was NO support for the load bearing walls. The load was being support only by the standard floor joists. A structural engineer was called in to recommend repairs which were completed several years ago for over $6000.

Our realtor had our house inspected prior to purchase. The inspector actually stated that the house was "structurally sound".

Do we have any recourse for getting some or all of our expenses repaid after this length of time? If so, who would be liable? (Unfortunately, the builder is deceased)

D Patrick Zimmerman Law Offices of D Patrick Zimmerman

Re: Liability for flaw missed in home inspection

the builders estate. The inspector. The prior owner if with knowledge of problem. The statute of limatations is four years on written contract. Inspector would have two year after you discovered problem.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina