Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

I live in NC and have recently entered into a realestate agreement to sell a piece of land. My wife has changed her mind about wanting to sell the property and has said she will not sign anything to sell the land. She is not on the Deed. Can she keep me from selling the property?

Asked on 10/21/13, 11:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, if you are married, no title company will insure/certify the title when a spouse doesn't sign off due to old family law/inheritance law issues this creates.

Read more
Answered on 10/22/13, 8:14 am
Jeff Rosner Rosner Law Firm P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

So technically the answer is she can't keep you from selling it but by refusing to sign, most people will not buy it since the title insurance company will require her signature.

- Jeff

Read more
Answered on 10/22/13, 2:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now