Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

I lived in a house for 2 years, the lease is up. Is 2 weeks notice sufficient?

Asked on 9/17/13, 12:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Read the lease. Two weeks may or may not be sufficient depending on if the lease was a yearly lease or not. If this was a 1-year lease and you were a holdover tenant on a month-to-month, then at least 7 days' notice is required unless your lease provides for a longer time. Most leases require notice to be given 30-60 days prior to lease end.

Exception would be for military situations where a soldier is given orders to report to a new duty station. Or perhaps a domestic violence situation.

I have set forth the statute below for you; read your lease, then read the statute and see.

42-14. Notice to quit in certain tenancies.

A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by a notice to quit given one month or more before the end of the current year of the tenancy; a tenancy from month to month by a like notice of seven days; a tenancy from week to week, of two days. Provided, however, where the tenancy involves only the rental of a space for a manufactured home as defined in G.S. 143-143.9(6), a notice to quit must be given at least 60 days before the end of the current rental period, regardless of the term of the tenancy.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 5:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now