North Carolina  |  Real Estate Law

Military Family Jumps Lease for on Post Housing

In 09/99, I leased my house to a military family. First the wife wrote a check for the rent that was returned NSF. We collected funds due, but two months later they bounced another check, which is still delinquent. Our situation and theirs at the time both family where relocating. A lease was (generic lease received by United States Army Housing Authority on Fort Bragg) signed with her husbands signature and mine. With all the restructuring that is dealt with relocating we now finally have the time next week to travel to North Carolina to file charges against the couple. Will file a complaint is for breaking lease agreement terms four months into lease and to collect on debit of written check.

My first question the lease that we signed was not notarized. Will this pose as a major problem? I was able to rent to others in April but I feel that couple still owes for December - March. What other forms of payment my law, such as expenses and interest entitles me to? We are also considering going to JAG (military judicatory) to file claim, since my husband is still military service related. Since our countless attempts to contact his Commander regarding this matter has failed.