North Carolina  |  Traffic Law

After 16 years since my drivers license been suspended. Iam in another state no prior traffic violation could I apply for my license in this state.

Answered on: 8/15/13, 6:46 am by John O'Neal

Probably not. If your license is suspended in one state that information will likely be discovered when you go to another state to apply for a license. Moreover there is likely some affirmation or representation of fact you must make to a state from whom you seek a license and if your license is procured by fraud or omission of information on your part the license may be subsequently revoked anyway. Just to be sure how you should handle your situation you should consult with an attorney in the state in which you seek a license.

O'Neal Law Office 7 Battleground Court, Suite 212 Greensboro, NC 27408

Answered on: 8/15/13, 8:54 am by Amanda Houser

There's just no nice way to say it - John's answer is almost entirely wrong. You most certainly can apply. Of course, the real question is what's the likely hood another state will license you. If that state is Michigan your odds are fairly good - they don't play nice with other states when it comes to license info. Otherwise most other states all share traffic information and no longer rely on affirmations because for some silly reason they believe some of you might actually consider lying about your current license status. Further, you most definitely DO NOT need to consult with an attorney at this point. You can rely on DMV to correctly determine if you are eligible to be licensed in their state. Its free to apply and you can't screw it up. Logically, if you apply and are approved - having sought the advice of an attorney ahead of time would be a stupid waste of your time and money. However, if you are denied a license in the new state THEN you might want to consult an attorney to make sure DMV's assessment was correct and to figure out what steps you need to take to become eligible and when.

The Houser Law Firm, P.C. 1007 Hargett Street Suite 2 Jacksonville, NC 28540