Legal Question in Traffic Law in North Carolina

Can police in North Carolina issue a speeding ticket by mail or any other method besides pulling over the individual?

I met an officer while speeding and instantly slowed down. I noticed the officer slowing down too. My turn off was less than a quarter mile ahead so I turned and figured the officer would follow me off the main road for a safer stop. I never saw the officer go by nor did I hear any sirens. Could I still receive a speeding ticket if I was never pulled over? If so, when might I expect it?

John O'Neal O'Neal Law Office

I have never heard of someone receiving a speeding ticket via mail or any other method of "service" other than being pulled over and having it personally served by a law enforcement officer. While I will defer to the opinion of an attorney who handles criminal defense cases more frequently than myself I will say that it would be EXTREMELY unusual for this to occur. So if you did not receive a ticket I would suggest you not be worried. The only tickets that I am aware of you would receive via mail are for red light violations at intersections monitored by cameras. Those tickets are only served via mail and you receive one or two photos of your vehicle and the vehicle's license tag.

If you do receive a ticket you should definitely consult a traffic lawyer and do not just pay the ticket. But likely you have nothing to worry about.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in North Carolina