Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in North Carolina

My father passed away in March 2010 without a will or estate. I just received a letter from the IRS addressed to my Dad stating that he owed $2500 for the year 2010. To my knowledge tax forms were not submitted for the year 2010. My father received a small amount each month from SS and he had a government pension. He also had small interest payments. The total for the year in question was less then 10,000. My Dad was 92 and legally blind. Do I respond to this letter or return it marked Deceased?

Asked on 7/21/13, 11:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Even when someone dies, a final tax return has to be filed on their behalf. Was this done here? Your post suggests not. I would contact a CPA and file a final tax return for your father.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 12:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now