Legal Question in Workers Comp in North Carolina

How long settlement

My doctor closed my case in November with a 11% disablity rating. I still have not recieved any settlement compensation for my injury. I am a state employee, does it take usually take this long? My HR office said that I would need to sign papers when the check comes, what are they wanting me to sign? I still have issues from my injury and would not want to sign anything that would not let me to continue with medical treatment. Could they withold my settlement if I dont sign?

George Lennon Lennon, Camak & Bertics, PLLC

Re: How long settlement

As usual, what they are NOT telling you is important. If you do not file Form 18M, all medical benefits will end in 2 years. Call the Industrial Commission to confirm the correct forms are on file and see if you need to file a Form 18 claim to keep the statute of limitation from running. You have a right to a second opinion on the rating by a doctor of your choice. Usually, a Form 21 is used to settle cases where the rating is being paid. All forms and phone numbers are on the Commission web site Http://www.comp.state.nc.us Good luck.

George Lennon

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms

Frank NatoliNatoli-Lapin, LLCNew York, NY