Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

adoption of step child

I am the custodial parent of a minor child. We currently live in Kentucky. My ex resides in Ohio. My current husband wishes to adopt my child. In which state do we file the adoption papers?

Curtis J. Hamilton Neel Wilson & Clem

Re: adoption of step child

Although the adoption process in Ohio is much less cumbersome than that of Kentucky, because you and your husband, along with the child, live in KY the adoption proceeding will have to take place in this state. Contact a family attorney expert in your town for the purpose of filing a petition to terminate the father's parental rights, and also to petition the court for an adoption.

Remember, an adoption cuts off all parental responsibilities. Therefore, the father will no longer have to pay child support for the child. This may not be in the child's best interests.

Good luck.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio