Legal Question in Technology Law in Ohio

Copyright Laws

My, son uses a Website that is free to download Mp3 Files, These are shared files are on someone elses computer that allows a user access to download music ,Mp3 files. Is this legal or is this copyright infringement?

W. Pete Reid W. Pete Reid, Attorney at Law, LLC

Re: Copyright Laws

From your brief description it is impossible to know whether the the .mp3 content transferred by your son's computer is copyrighted.

If the downloaded content is copyrighted material, that may be direct copyright infringement. If your son is "hosting" or "sharing" copyrighted material on your computer for others to access and download via Livewire, that may be contributory copyright infringement.

Again, this assumes that the downloaded or shared content is copyrighted.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has published a Tool Guide for Parents at http://www.riaa.com/pdf/musicLeafletDL_USA_HR-1.pdf

I hope this answers your question. You may call or email me for further assistance.

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in Ohio

Computer & Technology Law Legal Forms