Legal Question in Criminal Law in Ohio

I go to court tomorrow for the first time in my life. (I am 47) I had a little pot and was caught by a game warden. Being that it is a minor misdeameanor or 5th degree,should I just plead guilty, pay $100.00 and walk away. Or should I plead no contest? Why would a no contest plea benefit me at this point?

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

Ohio, a no contest plea allows you to avoid civil liability In case someone were to bring a civil lawsuit against you for the same act. A distinction is mostly used for in car accidents Where are pleading guilty would be used against you in the civil action. But in this case that would not be an issue.. however there can be consequences to your drivers license if you were caught with marijuana while driving. So you might want to initially plead not guilty and speak with an attorney first.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Ohio