Ohio  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/13/13, 12:54 pm

I was at the lil wayne concert and got charged with disorderly conduct. My friend was really drunk, however, I was not. I even offered a to be breathalized. My friend was being loud and obnoxious and they took her to the hospital...even though that wasn't necessary. They asked me to call my parents and I explained that I am over 18 amd had a ride 5 mins away. The cop snatched my phone from me and wrote me up for d.c . and my friend got nothing..... I didn't pay the ticket because I am going to court. I havnt told my parents yet and really need it to be dropped because I am going to school for teaching. Do you think that I would get it dropped without a lawyer?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/13/13, 3:55 pm by Eric Willison

In Ohio, the answer depends upon what sort of evidence the police have against you. If the police report is written in a way that has contradictions in it with what the officer testifies to on the stand, then you stand a good chance of getting a dismissal. Often, if you have nothing else on your record, and you talk to the prosecutor about what went on, and he or she gets a good sense about you, they might drop the ticket, especially if you were polite and respectful to the officer.

But if they prosecutor is dead set on going ahead with the charges, then you might want to hire a lawyer to defend you, or if you don't have the money to do that, then you should apply for a public defender.

Lastly, even if you do get convicted, you may be able to get the conviction expunged in Ohio if you don't have anything else on your record.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Eric E. Willison 625 City Park Avenue Columbus, OH 43206

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search