Legal Question in Elder Law in Ohio

We are both over 70 and planning marriage. Both have grown children. We both have savings which will be kept separate(not co-mingled). If one of us exhausts savings through nursing home expense can he/she obtain medicare help without having to first use the other spouses savings?

Asked on 2/03/10, 6:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elizabeth Schmitz Elizabeth S. Schmitz Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The rules regarding Medicaid are complex and I would consult an attorney who can help you with your partricular situation.

In general they would look at both spouse's assets in determing medicaid eligibiity.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 6:22 am
Nancy Fioritto Patete Nancy Fioritto Patete, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are some protections for spouses who remarry. It would be important to look at the amount of your assets to determine them. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 8:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Ohio

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now