Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

If there is a domestic violence charge against my husband, will it be difficult to get full custody of my children?

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio divorce cases where children are involved, the Court's guiding principle is the best interests of the children. Courts are wary about DV charges that suddenly spring up in the middle of a custody battle, but will take them seriously if they are supported by the facts. However, the fact that charges are pending is not nearly so powerful as a conviction on the charges. Further still, while a conviction for DV is a factor against a certain person getting custody, it is not a determinative factor. Other factors could outweigh it.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio