Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

Reversal of adoption

I adopted my son to my mother 1 year ago (both of us were in Ohio at the time of adoption). I wanted to reverse the adoption immediately but was told it was too late. Recently my mother agreed that it would be better for me to raise him, so now I have to figure out how to reverse the adoption and do it from Minnesota (I am a full time student and cannot quit or move back to Ohio). Could anyone help me and tell me what my first step should be? I think my mom has to take the first step, but I have to find out what she needs to do.

Stephen Daray Sciangula & Daray

Re: Reversal of adoption

Not an easy question. I am not sure whether you can reverse the adoption. I would suspect it can be done, but would not have a clue to tell you how without researching the same. However, you can probably get your mother to granted you guardianship in probate court or possibly custody in a juvenile action. That would depend in some part on what county the adoption went through.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio