Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

I'm sixteen and my parents are in the middle of a divorce and I'm being forced to stay with my mother and I don't want to at all. The divorce isn't finalized and she's living with her boyfriend can i legally be forced to visit her?

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, when a divorce is pending, the Court issues temporary orders at the start to determine custody and visitation schedules while the case is going on. That may not be the final result. Which parent gets custody and visitation is determined by what is best for the children. Courts can interview the children in camera (meaning in chambers without the attorneys or the parties being present) to determine the wishes of the children, but those wishes are merely one factor in determining what is best, not the only factor.

Further, in a divorce the Court will sometimes assign a Guardian Ad Litem (G.A.L.) to look out for the interests of the children. This is an attorney who will act as your attorney, and though his/her fees come from the parents, he/she does not work for them. If you have the case number, you can call the clerk of courts and check to see if there is a G.A.L. assigned to your case and get his/her contact number and make your wishes known.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio