Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

temporary guardianship of two childeren to grandfather in Ky.

Can I use an appointment of guardianship form to give to my father in ky. temp. custody of two of my six childeren, by just filling it out and having it notorized?dose it have to be filed in a court some where? ( i'm in ohio). and how to you void it after it is no longer needed?

Jonathan Schiff Self employed

Re: temporary guardianship to grandfather in Ky.

No. Only a Court can change custody or grant guardianship. A more important question, however, is whether or not a change of custody/guardianship (they are for all intents and purposes the same thing, but Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, deal with custody. Probate Court grants guardianships)is what you need.

If all you are doing is going out of town for a brief time and need someone to take care of the kids, a "power of attorney" to get medical care might suffice. Although schooling could be a problem.

A guardianship, if that is what you need. Shouldn't be too difficult to get if everybody agrees and it can be undone the same way it was done. But you do have to file it with the Court and I would suggest asking the court clerks about the procedure. They are generally very helpful and often know more about the procedures than the judges.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio