Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

What will happen to my motion, If i file Motion for Contempt of court because ex does not give court and me his current address as stated in the divorce decree, and court was not able to serve him personally with the motion?

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, until your ex is served with the motion, it will be of no effect. You have the responsibility of serving him with the motion (even though the court has mechanisms to do this). If the court personnel can't find him, you may have to hire a private process server and/or a private investigator to find him and serve him. Then you can seek costs for all of that from him in your contempt proceeding as damages which flowed from his failure to keep you and the court advised as to his whereabouts.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio