Legal Question in Employment Law in Ohio

vacation time used vs. earned

When I quit my job, my employer said I owed them money for vacation time used that was not yet earned. In the policy manual it said you earned 16 days after one year. i had worked one year and two months. I took 12 days of vacation up to July 1. Now the company is telling me that the time earned is accrued at a rate of .0615 per hour or 4.92 hours per pay and I took too many days, so my final paycheck they subtracted 24 hours of time that i took. Then the employer said I owed them because back in 2006, they ''inadvertently'' found I didn't pay enough for the dental insurance, so they want me to pay that too. So basically I didn't receive a paycheck even tho my supervisor signed off my time sheet for 40 hours worked. and now i owe them money to boot! They want to know when and how i plan to pay them back. They did say they would write off the medical part if i pay back the vacation.

Eileen Joyce Baughman & Joyce LLC

Re: vacation time used vs. earned

My suggestion is to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor. It's free and no attorney is necessary to institute an investigation.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Ohio

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms