Ohio  |  Personal Injury

in Niles, Ohio the police dept. has a facebook page I understand that all crimes are public record however is it possible to have it shut down because of the damage that page causes other members of that extended family. example my brother-n-law was arrest for drugs my immeditate family includeing 3 dhildren have nothing to do with this however they are the ones that have to deal with the reprecussion of this page.

Answered on: 9/14/12, 5:48 am by John Sauter

You are correct in that crimes, arrests and court proceedings are public record. This type of information has long appeared in local newspapers. It is unfortunate that your family has had to deal with the repercussions of other family member's wrongful conduct, but the protections our nation has awarded to the freedom of the press and freedom of speech outweigh any 'collateral damage' that is caused by the public nature of our judicial system.

Cloppert, Latanick, Sauter & Washburn 225 E. Broad St. Columbus, OH 43215