Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Ohio

Owners of real estate have passed away. The county lists them as owners of the real estate. They owe back taxes. There are two adult daughters. Do they automatically assume ownership of the property and the responsibility to pay those taxes??

J. Norman Stark J. Norman Stark , Attorney, Architect

Dear Heirs: Please accept my condolences. In response to your question, the simple answer is that if the heirs (two Daughters) wish to inherit the property, they must first open a probate estate, and arrange for the payment of the delinquent taxes. If the daughters are unable to pay in one lump sum, arrangements can be made with the County Auditor for payments in increments. Additionally, the heirs may also wish to apply for a reduction in evauation (and taxes) since the economy has been adversely affected, and market values are greatly reduced. A reappraisal or Broker's Price opinion may be in order, to support a reduction in taxes.

I recommend you retain experienced Counsel to advise and represent you in this matter.

Good luck, God bless...

Sincerely, J. Norman Stark

Cleveland, Ohio

Email: Normstark@aol.com

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Ohio