Ohio  |  Wills and Trusts

My boyfriend and I purchased a house together by paying 50/50. It is a suvivorship deed, clear and free. We are not planning to get married in the future. He has 2 children from previous marriage. I don't have children. I have a niece and a nephew. I want to leave them my asset to. If I die first, my boy friend will get the house. After he dies, his children will inherit our house? I want to leave half of the value of the house to my niece and nephew instead of all go to his family, just to be fair. And vice versa.

Should we have a living trust under both of our name instead of a suvivorship deed? If one dies first, the other one will continue to live in the house until passing. Then the house will be divided between his children and my nieces and nephew equally. Will the living trust the best way to ensure all of our heirs get the shares?

Thanks.