Ohio  |  Wills and Trusts

My husband made a will before we got married, leaving everything to his children. Should he make another one if he wants to protect me if something happens to him or will I still be protected without him writing up a new one?

Thank you

Answered on: 2/24/11, 6:12 am by Elizabeth Schmitz

A surviving spouse has certain rights under the laws of the State of Ohio. Under those provisions you would be entitled to a portion of his probate assets (those assets in just his name that do not have a beneficiary designation).

You and your husband should discuss the facts of your situation and your goals to make sure that the current documents and asset owernship allow those goals to be carried out.

Elizabeth S. Schmitz Attorney at Law 1900 Polaris Parkway Suite 450 Columbus, OH 43240

Answered on: 2/24/11, 6:24 am by Nancy Fioritto Patete

To be truly protected, rather than having to rely on state statutes, a new will is recommended. This also gives you both the opportunity to discuss your respective needs and desires since your are now part of a blended family.

Nancy Fioritto Patete, Esq. PO Box 24387 Mayfield Heights, OH 44124