Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Ohio

My sons father passed away in 2011. There was a fund for school set up for my son chase by his father parents, who had told me after donations were made and after they had fundraiser. Afterwards they refused to let me be any part of it and closed the account and put all o the money into a different account that they set up for my son. Recently they held another fundraiser for my son that him or I were no part of and I had to find out through a newspaper. My son and I have no contact with his fathers family. I don't trust that the full amount is in the account because I already saw that 4000 was used to pay my sons great grandmother back on fathers side for borrowing money for the funeral, and this money was told to donators that it was all going to my son Chase. My question is how can I apply or get the money out of the grandparents hands and into probate/ courts hands to make sure they cannot have access?

James Slater Slater & Zurz LLP

To properly answer your question, we would like to provide you with a free telephone consultation. Please call our law firm at 1-888-534-4850 and ask for James Luna. You can also email James at jluna@slaterzurz.com. He will connect you with one of our attorneys who will discuss this issue with you, answer your questions and provide you with guidance. We look forward to your call! Yours Truly, Jim Slater, Slater & Zurz LLP

Christine Socrates Christine Sabio Socrates, Attorney at Law

More information is need to property evaluate your case. You may be able to file an action in the probate court in the county that you reside in order to have these funds deposited into a guardianship account for your son where the court would oversee the distribution of these funds but it appears they may be some fraud perpetrated by the grandparents to raise money they never intended to give to the child. This case needs to be thoroughly evaluated to see what causes of action are warranted. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Ohio