Legal Question in Family Law in Oklahoma

My rights of a divorce

What are my rights as a wife filing for a divorce after 15 years of marriage. Husband had an affair for two years. I need to know what I can legeally try to get. We would have about 20,000 after we sold the house I make as much money as he does. can I get any allimony or can I get some of hes retirement

Lisa Bohannan The Bohannan Law Office, P.C.

Re: My rights of a divorce

In Oklahoma, divorce is equitable in nature which means property is divided according to what is fair and equitable which does not always mean equal but can. Alimony is determined based upon a number of factors including length of marriage, post-divorce transition, preservation of marital assets, ability of spouse to support herself/himself, etc. Of course, you and your spouse can always agree to divide your property in any manner you choose, which is always your best alternative...if you can agree. Additionally, if there are minor children involved, the custodial parent will be entitled to monthly child support in accordance with Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines. There are not any exact criteria or guidelines to follow in division of martial property, so you will need to consult an attorney in your area to advise you more specifically based upon your facts. Good luck!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oklahoma