Legal Question in Business Law in Oregon

I have been laid off from my job but am still a named defendant in a pending lawsuit against my former employer. If I no longer am employed by this company, am I still a part of this pending legal matter?

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

Yes, you are still part of it, until you get yourself dismissed from it. If you were named as a defendant solely because of your position in the company, and not because of something you specifically did (your specific conduct), you can file a motion to dismiss the case as to you. Your employer could accomplish this by filing a motion to substitute your replacement as a defendant in the lawsuit. Your employer probably wants you out of the lawsuit, as a laid off employee will probably not be the best witness for the company and might even be hostile to the company.

More Business Law questions and answers in Oregon

Business Law Legal Forms