Legal Question in Consumer Law in Oregon

When I was in the process of shopping for a new Honda CRV, the top salesman of 20 years there told me that the vehicle had a 6 disc CD player, as did the 2009 CRV I was going to use as a trade in. After purchasing the car, believing it had all I was told it had, turns out it did not have a 6 disc CD player, but rather a single disc. This is apparently standard now a days, but I did not know that and the salesman who did know that lied to me, and misrepresented this very expensive item. What can I do about this?

Daniel Meek Daniel W. Meek

If what you say is true, the dealership committed fraud. You can sue them under ORS 646.638 for violation of ORS 646.608(e):A person engages in an unlawful practice when in the course of the persons business, vocation or occupation the person does any of the following:

(e) Represents that real estate, goods or services have sponsorship, approval, characteristics, ingredients, uses, benefits, quantities or qualities that they do not have or that a person has a sponsorship, approval, status, qualification, affiliation, or connection that the person does not have.If you win, the court can compel the dealership to pay your attorney fees but does not have to do that.

Your problem will be proving that the salesman told you that the CRV has a 6-disc CD player. Do you have any written statement from him about that, such as an email admitting that he told you that?

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Oregon

Consumer Law Legal Forms