Pennsylvania  |  Real Estate Law

Friend needed to move and someone i work with said he would rent his house to her. There was no lease and nothing signed. there was not even really a verbal lease b/c he said he would type up a lease all that was really agreed on with her is 450 a month.

A month went by and she wanted to pay for rent for the house but she did not have a bank checks so she gave me cash and I wrote him a check. She was already behind after a few months she wanted to give him as much as she could so again she gave me cash and he told me to just write out the check to someone els because he owed someone els money and that's were the money was going anyway.

he would only talk to me about the house wile we were at work. he would ask me what is your friend doing. he told me he wanted her out asap. he gave her 3 weeks to get out. He is suing me for 6000 dollars for back rent, damages, and utilities. I never lived there and he said he is suing me b/c i signed the check and that was like signing a contract. It feels like he is just suing the wrong person.

I also know that he did not have a renters license i don't know if that would help or mean anything.

Answered on: 9/28/09, 1:59 pm by John Gibson

I don't think the renter's license means anything. However, unless you co-signed the lease, I don't see any liability on your part.

John W. Gibson, Esquire 912 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15219