Legal Question in Administrative Law in Pennsylvania

My mother holds the mortgage to my sisters house. Will that have to be paid before any money is paid. Out from her estate

Asked on 10/01/13, 7:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This sounds like a probate issue not administrative law. Administrative law relates to rule-making by government agencies.

Who died? Who is to inherit the house?

Homes are inherited subject to any existing mortgages unless the will provides otherwise. If the will does provide otherwise, then there would have to be a means of satisfying the mortgage from other assets.

The problem here it sounds like that the estate is for your mother and that the sister owns the house. In that case, we are not talking about inheriting a house subject to an existing mortgage but a debt owed to the estate. In such case, the estate cannot be held open indefinitely to permit repayment. Rather, if this is the case, the sister would have to keep paying the monies owed to the estate and try to look around for a lender who will be willing to take a home equity loan and pay off the loan held by the mother's estate.

I suggest that your sister talk with a probate law attorney about this.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 11:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Administrative Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now